|24: The Salvation Army in Mobile. At the corner of Conception and St.
Francis Streets, Captain Edward Justus Parker, Staff-Captain Charles Miles, and a
Salvation Army lieutenant conducted an open air meeting on the night of their arrival in
March 1887. In contrast to other Salvation Army openings in other cities, the Mobile
audience was polite. Men removed their hats as prayer was offered and those in attendance
respectfully participated in the singing and dropped coins into the collection plate.
Mobile became an official Salvation Army Corps on October 13, 1899, with Captain and Mrs.
James T. Cumbie in command. The Army's first Corps Community Center in Mobile was located
at 213 Conti Street where it remained from the late 1930s until the late 1960s. The
Salvation Army's fight against human suffering, started in 1865 in London by General
William Booth, is still helping people to help themselves, though its methods have changed
with the times. Dedicated June 14, 1987 by Commissioner James Osborne, Commander of the
Army's Southern Territory.
Salvation Army 1987
Return to Index
Return to Warren Street to Ann Street