|31: Portier House (circa 1833).
Location: SE corner of Conti, at Claiborne.
Text: Title to this land, part of a Spanish grant and formerly a burial ground, was
clarified by the American State Papers in 1828. Michael Portier, Mobile's first bishop,
made this his home from 1834 until his death in 1859. Four subsequent bishops resided here
until 1906. Abram J. Ryan, poet-priest of the South, occupied the northwest corner room on
the second floor from 1870 until 1877. Residence was restored by the Catholic Diocese of
Mobile in 1958. In 1970 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. [Also
see marker numbers 32, 33, and 56.]
Historic Mobile Preservation
Return to Index
to Warren Street to Ann Street