|43: The Bee Hive.
Location: 901 Government Street (corner of Government and Broad.
Text: The congregation of Government Street United Methodist Church, Methodism's Mother
Church in Mobile, began in 1826 on Franklin Street. Called "The Bee Hive"
because of its activity, it sent "swarms" throughout the city to form new
congregations. A brick structure replaced the original wooden church in 1849. The move to
this corner was accomplished with the dedication of a Gothic structure in 1890. The
remodeling to Spanish Colonial architecture was begun in 1906 and completed in 1917.
Architect was Mobilian George B. Rogers, and Harry E. Goodhue of Boston created the
stained glass windows.
Return to Index
Return to Ann Street to Florida Street