Math 113 syllabus
Continuation of MA 112: numerical, graphical and algebraic properties of rational and trigonometric functions, parametric equations, right angle trigonometry, inverse trigonometric functions, polar coordinates, conic sections. Development and use of mathematical models to solve problems that concern real- world situations emphasized.
Credit for both MA 113 and MA 115 not allowed.
Precalculus: A Right Triangle Approach 4th edition, Beecher, Bittinger, Penna ISBN 1256528641
A Texas Instruments TI30XII-S scientific calculator is required.
C or better in MA 112, or a sufficient Mathematics Placement Exam score, or a sufficient ACT Mathematics subscore.
Goals and Objectives
- Understanding of trigonometric functions in terms of arc length on unit circle and in terms of ratios of lengths of sides in a right triangle.
- Algebraic skills necessary to solve equations involving trigonometric functions and to obtain standard forms for conic equations.
- Reasoning and sketching skills for survey and bearing applications of trigonometry and for reading standard form equations for conics from graphs or graphing these from equations.
- Graphing trigonometric functions emphasizing amplitude, period, phase and vertical shifts as they correspond to stretch, compression and shifts discussed in MA 112.
This course is taught as a traditional lecture, Web-enhanced course with homework from the MyMathLab system. The student is expected to attend class regularly taking notes and participating in question and answer discussions. Online quizzes are assigned as needed.
There will be at least three tests and a final exam
No makeup tests will be given. If a test is missed, the Final Exam grade will be substituted for the missed test. You will receive a grade of zero on your second missed test. If you take all tests, the final exam may be substituted for your lowest test grade.
Determination of Final Average
The student’s final average will be determined by the following:
- Homework/Quiz Average = 15% of grade
- Test Average = 55% of grade
- Final Exam= 30% of grade
- 90%-100%= A
- 80%-89%= B
Weekly Topic Coverage
- Week 1= Sec. 6.1: Trig Functions of Acute Angles
- Week 2= Sec. 6.2: Applications of Right triangles; Sec. 6.3: Trig Functions of Any Angle
- Week 3= Sec. 6.4: Radian Measure
- Week 4= Sec. 6.5: Circular Functions
- Test #1
- Week 5= Sec. 6.6: Graphing
- Week 6= Sec. 7.1: Identities
- Week 7= Sec. 7.2: Identities Continued; Sec. 7.3: Proving Identities
- Week 8= Sec. 7.4: Inverse Trig Function
- Week 9= Sec. 7.5: Solving Trig Equation
- Test #2
- Week 10= Sec. 8.1: Law of Sines; Sec. 8.2: Law of Cosines
- Week 11= Sec. 10.1: The Parabola; Sec. 10.2: The Ellipse
- Week 12= Sec. 10.3: The Hyperbola
- Test #3
- Week 12= Sec. 8.4: Polar Graphing
- Week 13= Sec. 10.6: Polar Equations of Conic
- Week 14= Sec. 8.5: Vectors
- Final Exam
Last updated April 19, 2018