Math 506 syllabus
Statistics for Teachers
Prepares in-service and pre-service teachers to teach statistics in high schools using data-based approach. Uses hands-on-activities approach and simulation of situations to teach concepts; and technology to teach data analysis. This course is designed for students in the College of Education and Professional Studies.
Prerequisite: MA 126 or permission of instructor
1. Elementary Statistics, 11th Edition, Johnson & Kuby, Thompson Brooks/Cole ISBN 9780538733502
2. Seeing Through Statistics, 3rd Edition, Jessica Utts, Thompson Brooks/Cole ISBN 0534394027
Calculator: A scientific/programmable calculator with statistical capabilities (such as TI-83, TI-83 plus, TI-84) is recommended.
1. Planning a study: deciding what and how to measure
2. Exploring data: observing patterns and departures from patterns
3. Anticipating patterns in advance: Producing models using probability and simulation
4. Statistical inference: confirming models
This course is intended to provide high school teachers a data based approach to teach statistics. Students in this course will learn basics of designing an experiment, different data collection methods, methods of pattern recognition, and inference procedures.
Last Updated February 19, 2014