About the College of Engineering
The College of Engineering at the University of South Alabama is recognized for the quality of its graduates. Its graduates have done well in industrial and government careers, not only in the local Gulf Coast region, but also nationally and internationally. Its graduates have often continued their education in some of the most respected graduate schools in the country.
The College has four academic departments and 45 full-time faculty positions. It offers five baccalaureate degrees, four masters degrees, and a doctoral degree in Systems Engineering. Our enrollment for Fall of 2016 includes 1,984 undergraduate students and 109 masters students. In 2015-2016 the College awarded 160 undergraduate degrees and 115 masters degrees and its' first Doctor of Science in Systems Engineering.
Among the strengths of the college cited by its Industrial Advisory Board are its location, its affordability, and the fact that its graduates have a good hands-on technical image. On the other hand, some feel that the College has not marketed itself heavily enough and therefore lacks visibility and name recognition of other engineering colleges throughout the Southeast.
The foundation of the College of Engineering is its excellent faculty with their dedication to teaching and the researching of new knowledge. All professors have doctorates and have come to USA from some of the finest universities in existence.
- All students pursuing the B.S. degree are required to take the Fundamentals in Engineering Examination, which is the first step in becoming a licensed Professional Engineer. Our students consistently score well on this national exam.
- A survey of engineering graduates from the last ten years show that 97% would strongly recommend the USA College of Engineering to others.
- The College maintains state of the art laboratory facilities for the instruction of students. A major upgrade of the laboratories was recently completed.
- The College has recently installed a wireless computer network, giving students and the professors the ability to connect their laptop computers to the Internet and local servers from anywhere in the vicinity of the three engineering buildings.
- Research activities have grown rapidly in recent years. Undergraduate and graduate students frequently have the opportunity to be involved in cutting edge engineering research projects.
- Many students are active in competitions (mini baja cars, robots, concrete canoe, chemical reaction powered cars, etc.) involving their engineering skills. They compete against teams from other universities, have a little fun, and learn a lot.
- The USA College of Engineering is justifiably proud of our program, of our facilities, and of our graduates. We invite you to visit our campus, meet our students and faculty, and tour the College. Please make an appointment with the Office of Admissions and experience the excellence that is the USA College of Engineering.