Discover the Mitchell Scholars Program (2014-2015 Scholars)
The Mitchell Scholars Program allows elite business students to develop to their full potential. Through faculty mentorship and a four-year $50,000 scholarship that includes a laptop computer, scholars will pursue challenging programs while developing stewardship and civic responsibility. When completed, they will step into the world as exceptional candidates for the work force or graduate school. In fact, our scholars are encouraged to apply for national and international scholarships such as Rhodes.
Mitchell Scholars have the opportunity to participate in faculty research projects, culminating in an honors research thesis and creation of a peer-reviewed publication or creative work. Scholar students will be given priority registration so they can maintain progress to their goals.
Qualifications for Consideration
- Minimum 28 ACT Composite (or comparable SAT scores)
- Minimum 3.5 high school grade-point average (as computed by the University of South Alabama)
- Business major
- Mobile/Baldwin Counties and State of Alabama Residents given preference
- Deadline is December 1.
- Complete an admissions application for the University of South Alabama, and submit it to the Office of Admissions with the $35 non-refundable processing fee. Students must indicate on the application that they wish to major in the Mitchell College of Business.
- Request your school counselor to mail an official copy of your high school transcript to the Office of Admissions.
- Request your official ACT or SAT results to be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
- Participate in an interview (if selected for final consideration).
* Students who meet the minimum qualification listed above and who have been admitted to the University by December 1 of the senior year of high school will be automatically considered for the Mitchell Scholarship Program.
Qualifications to Maintain Status as a Mitchell Scholar
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours each academic year.
- Participate in community service projects in collaboration with faculty mentor.
- Participate in research projects with a faculty member, culminating with the senior research project.
- Apply for national scholarship programs (e.g. Fulbright, Rhodes, Eisenhower, etc.)
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 after the freshman year, 3.25 after the sophomore year, and 3.5 after the junior year.
- Students who change their major from business to another college will forfeit their scholarship.
For more information about this program, contact:
Office of Enrollment Services
University of South Alabama
390 Alumni Circle, Meisler Hall Room 2400
Mobile, AL 36688-0002