General Program Information
When you enroll in classes at the English Language Center here at the University of South Alabama, you will be placed in classes based on your performance on the placement test. We use the Cambridge Michigan Language Assessment (CaMLA) English Placement Test. This test will assess your listening, reading, and grammar. You will also be asked to provide a writing sample and take a speaking test.
We have five levels of instruction:
- Level One (CEFR A-1)
- Level Two (CEFR A-2)
- Level Three (CEFR B-1)
- Level Four (CEFR B-2)
- Level Five (CEFR C-1)
Students are promoted from one level to the next when they have achieved a class average of 70% or higher. Students entering our program with at Level One can expect to spend five to six terms (approximately one year) studying English to develop the proficiency needed to enter a university in the United States.
Strong academics are important and the English Language Center at USA offers excellent academic preparation with faculty members who are dedicated to teaching and helping students reach their maximum potential. Our classes focus on academic vocabulary and skills you will need for success in university classes.
A full list of our textbooks is available here.
ELC students who complete level 5 can be recommended for admission to the University of South Alabama without TOEFL or IELTS if they meet both of the following criteria:
- Completion of Level Five with a GPA of 70% or better.
- CaMLA score of 61 or better.
Students may also qualify for university admission by getting:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 61 OR
- A minimum ACT English subject score of 19 OR
- A minimum SAT Reading score of 24 OR
- An A, B, or C on Ordinary/Advanced level English Examinations from the United Kingdom OR
- A minimum IELTS academic score of 5.5 OR
- A minimum iTEP Academic Plus score of 3.6 OR
- A minimum PTE Academic score of 44
See Immigration and International Admissions for the complete list of university admissions requirements.