The Whistleblower Hotline is a tool where the University community can, in good faith, report misconduct, fraud, waste or abuse of University resources. For more information on Whistleblower's rights, visit these sites:
- Alabama Code sections 36-26A-1 through 7 State Employee Protection (Whistleblowers) (See Useful Links)
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) - Whistleblower Protection (See Useful Links)
- USA's Whistleblower and Non-Retaliation Policy (See Whistleblower Policy Link in left navigation)
What to Report?
You can report any suspected offenses of fraud, theft, waste, abuse or violations of University policies and/or State or Federal laws. However, some issues may be referred to a more appropriate department for investigation (e.g., Sexual Harassment to Human Resources, Academic Misconduct to the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Criminal Acts to Campus Police)
Reportable offenses also include:
- Unethical Reporting of Information and/or Financial Transactions
- Payroll Fraud or Time Sheet Abuse
- Contract or Procurement Violations
- Misuse of Donor Funds
- Funded Grant Violations
- Kickbacks or Bribes
- Conflicts of Interest
- Ethics Violations
- Inappropriate Use of Technology
- Endangerment to Public Health or Safety
- Research Misconduct or Medical Ethics Violations
- Inappropriate Use of Intellectual Property
- Athletic Misconduct— e.g. gambling, improper gifts, recruiting misconduct, scholarship or financial aid misconduct
- Individuals who suspect misconduct have several reporting options:
- Whistleblower Phone Line/Voice Mail: (251) 460-6393
- Web: Internal Audit Home
- E-mail: Internalaudit@southalabama.edu
- Whistleblower Hotline Form : Downloadable PDF
- Mail: Internal Audit, 307 University Blvd, Rm. 180 AD Mobile, AL 36688
- Fax: (251) 461-1497
The Chief Audit Officer will receive and review reports and then determine the appropriate action to be taken. If requested, the Chief Audit Officer will try to keep your identity confidential. (See below)
When to Report?
As soon as you believe misconduct has occurred.
Can I Submit an Anonymous Complaint?
You can call from a number other than your own or use an anonymous e-mail account
to hide your identity. You may also mail your concerns anonymously. Individuals are
encouraged to disclose their identities when reporting a concern, in order that we
may contact you to obtain as much information as possible about the allegation.
Will My Identity Remain Confidential?
We will try to keep your identity confidential to the extent permitted by law or the
circumstances of the investigation.
What Happens After I Report?
Internal Audit will log the complaint and gather information to determine the appropriate action needed. Depending on the nature of the complaint, it may be referred to another department.