UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA
June 21, 2006
University Library, Rm. 110
The meeting began at 3:06 pm with Chair Irene McIntosh presiding. No quorum was present.
Present: Britt, Brown, Carnahan, Dardeau, Dupree-Taylor, Farmer, Flynn, Fresne, Guion, Hamilton, King, Lauderdale, Loomis, Major, McIntosh, Moore, Prescott, Robinson, Santoli, Tate, Varner, Wright
Excused: Amare, Beverly, Brick, Doran, Engin, Hain, Hubbard, Irion, Jie Li, Khan, McCready, Pettyjohn, Porter, Prokhorov, Shamburger, Sylvester, Williams,
Unexcused: Bullard, Burckhartt, Costello, Crumb, Douglass, Ficici, Harrison, Joseph, Molokhia, Olden, Sherman, Swofford, Vrettos,
Minutes: The Minutes of the April 19th meeting were not approved due to lack of a quorum.
After welcoming the senators, Irene highlighted the USA Board of Trustees meeting of June 8th:
• Approved a 5% raise to be implemented in October (November checks).
• Approved tenure and promotion budget for this year
• Honored President Moulton for 40 years of service
• Recognized Mr. and Mrs. Meisler for their gift of two million dollars for perpetual care of the new student services building which is now named for them.
• Informed the senators of the recognition given to USA Faculty for their contributions to the 2006 Annual Fund
Irene will try to meet with President Moulton in July and encouraged Executive Committee chairs to try and meet with their respective committees before fall term.
Proposed dates for Faculty Senate meetings are:
• August-no meeting
• September 20th
• October 18th
Irene reminded senators to stay for photos.
The Senate discussed the External Equity Adjustment Recommendations presented by S. McCready in April. Several key points were raised with Irene noting the document would be available to the faculty on the website and senators should discuss the recommendations with the faculty at-large.
Points of discussion included:
• Separating merit from equity
• Reviewing retention and recruiting link with the university
• Recognizing the goal of the university is to bring positions up to regional average
• Review salary issue with position, not person
• Consistency with departments; i.e., not all departments rank faculty.
Faculty senators were asked to review the document again and discuss it with faculty colleagues before the next meeting. No vote was taken.
New Business- None (No Quorum)
Reports from standing committees: None
Academic Development & Mentoring:
Academic Policy and Faculty Handbook:
Planning & Development
Salary & Fringe Benefits:
Caucus Leaders reports: None
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:14 pm.