Too many students rule out studying abroad because they think they cannot afford it. However, studying abroad can be very affordable, especially with the assistance of scholarships. Check out these scholarship and alternate funding options for ways to make study abroad a reality for you!
USA Scholarships are directly affiliated with the University of South Alabama. All USA scholarships now run through the scholarship database Jag$pot. In order to find a specific USA scholarship, you will login to Jag$pot using your J# and JagMail password, search for the specific scholarship, and complete the application.
- Study Abroad Scholarship: All study abroad applicants are encouraged to apply for OIE's scholarship. To apply, search "Study Abroad Scholarship" in Jag$pot.
- USA Paws around the World Scholarship for Study Abroad is a scholarship for students who are enrolled as degree seeking USA students in good academic and non-academic standing, with preference given to students who graduated from an Alabama high school. To apply, search "USA Paws Around the World Study Abroad Scholarship" in Jag$pot.
Arts & Sciences
- The Ella and Cody Wims Scholarship for Study Abroad is a scholarship for sophomores or juniors participating on University-approved programs where students earn at least three semester credit hours towards graduation. To apply, search "Ella and Cody Wims Scholarship for Study Abroad" in Jag$pot.
The Nowlin-Caldwell Scholarship is a scholarship that awards up to $3,000 annually to a sophomore, junior, or senior with at least a 2.5 GPA and a declared major in the College of Arts & Sciences to fund overseas travel. For more information, contact the College of Arts & Sciences. To apply, search "Nowlin-Caldwell Scholarship" in Jag$pot.
- The James and Ivel Caldwell Scholarship is a scholarship for any Arts and Sciences major with at least a 3.0 GPA in their major and in foreign language courses who is studying abroad. For more information, contact the College of Arts & Sciences. To apply, search "James and Ivel Caldwell Scholarship" in Jag$pot.
Foreign Language Majors
The Foreign Language Scholarship to Study Abroad offers awards to language majors when they fulfill the mandatory study abroad requirement aspect of their major. For more information, contact the Modern and Classical Languages and Literature Department. To apply, search "The Foreign Language Scholarship to Study Abroad" in Jag$pot.
- The Felicia Cooley Award is awarded to a student that is deemed the best in Intermediate Spanish II by the department of Modern and Classical Languages & Literature. He or she is awarded $250.00 that is to be used exclusively for Study Abroad. There is no application for this scholarship, as it is selected by the department. For more information, contact the Modern and Classical Languages and Literature Department.
- The Lesser Taught Languages Scholarship Award is awarded to a student in one of the “lesser-taught languages” or Latin at USA. There is no application for this scholarship, as it is selected by the department. For more information, contact the Modern and Classical Languages and Literature Department.
- The Honors Program Study Abroad Scholarship offers competitive grants to students who have accepted the Honors Frederick P. Whiddon Scholarship and are studying abroad. Contact the Honors Program for more information.
External Scholarships and Fellowships are not directly offered by the University of South Alabama, but OIE can help you apply for them. For tips on how to apply for study abroad scholarships, visit Go Abroad’s Ten Ways to Score a Study Abroad Scholarship.
- The Gilman Scholarship Program is for U.S. citizen undergraduates receiving Pell Grants and studying abroad for credit for at least 28 days.
- The Foundation for Global Scholars Scholarship is for undergraduates with a 2.5 GPA going abroad for at least 28 days.
- The Fund for Education Abroad Scholarship is for undergraduates studying abroad for at least four weeks.
- The Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grant is for undergraduates with a 3.75 GPA.
- Go Overseas Study & Intern Abroad Scholarship is for undergraduates and graduates who write an essay about studying abroad.
- The Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship is for undergraduates who write an essay about why they are passionate about studying abroad.
- The Lewer Mark "Make Your Mark" is for undergraduates who write an essay about the impact of an international experience.
- The FlipKey Study Abroad Scholarship is for full-time students who write an essay about why travel is important.
- The Diversity Abroad Scholarships are for economically disadvantaged students, African-American/Black, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, multiracial/ethnic or Indigenous/Native-American students, students with disabilities, or first generation college undergraduate students.
- The Rainbow Scholarship is for members of the LGBTQI community.
- The Athletes Abroad Scholarship is for student athletes earning credit abroad.
- The Ashley Soule Conroy Foundation is for students with high financial need participating on one year programs.
- The Freeman-ASIA Scholarship is for students studying abroad in Asia.
- The Killam Fellowships Program is for students studying abroad in Canada for at least a semester.
- DAAD is for students studying abroad in Germany.
- The Bridging Scholarship is for students studying abroad in Japan for at least a semester.
- The Scotland Saltire Scholarship is for students studying abroad in Scotland.
- Turkish Coalition of America is for minority students studying abroad in Turkey.
- BUTEX Scholarships are for students studying abroad at a BUTEX institution in the UK.
- The Boren Scholarship is for undergraduates studying a lesser taught language for an extended period of time.
- The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program is for undergraduates studying a lesser taught language.
- Huntington Beebe is for students studying music abroad.
Service Learning and Volunteer Abroad
- Go Overseas Volunteer Abroad Scholarship is for students volunteering abroad.
- The Fund for International Service Learning Scholarship is for students completing a service learning project abroad.
- Project GO (Global Officers) is for ROTC students interested in studying a critical language. Project GO programs focus exclusively on the languages and countries of the Middle East, Asia, Central Asia, and Africa.
Graduate or Postgraduate Specific
- The Boren Fellowship is for graduates studying a lesser taught language for an extended period of time.
- The Fulbright Scholarship is for graduates or postgraduates going abroad in numerous areas, including the Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholar Awards and the Fulbright Arctic Initiative.
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is for postgraduates interested in funding for up to three years of graduate study at Cambridge University in any field.
- The George Marshall Scholarship is for postgraduates interested in funding for two years of graduate study at any abroad university in any field.
- The George Mitchell Scholarship is for graduates interested in funding for one year of graduate study at any eligible institution in Ireland or Northern Ireland in any field.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is for graduates or postgraduates interested in funding for two years of graduate study in any field at Oxford University.
- Many local organizations (for instance, Rotary Club) can provide funding for study abroad students. Consider asking your family and friends if they have any ties to a local organization.
- Don’t see a scholarship or fellowship that fits your needs here? Check out Study Abroad Funding or Money Geek's Study Abroad Scholarship page for more opportunities.
Crowdfunding for Personal Funding Campaigns
Crowdfunding is not a scholarship per se, but it is another option for you to explore for funding. Crowdfunding platforms may help provide you with ways to encourage your friends and family to help you pay for your program. Be sure to check through the details of each of the resources as there are typically fees involved as well as a portion of the donations to your fund kept by the company.
- FundMyTravel is an online crowdfunding platform specifically developed to suit the needs of individuals desiring to study or volunteer abroad.
- GoFundMe is a personal online fundraising website for individuals, groups & organizations.
- Indiegogo is an international crowdfunding site where anyone can raise money for film, music, art, charity, small business, gaming, theater, and more.
- Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects.
- Project Travel is a peer-funding platform that makes educational travel possible.