Jargon and Online
Jargon--words like:Boolean, pdf, citation, database, truncation
of Congress Classification System--general outline of how books are organized in academic libraries
vs Magazines vs Scholarly Journals--a chart of the differences among these periodicals
you tell the difference? a book, journal, magazine, chapter--matching
vs Secondary Sources--What are they and why is it important
Cycle (Flash required)--the process of an event becoming "information"
- Introduction to the USA Library
- Understanding Your Assignment (This is the most important step. Here are the critical skills you need to know.)
Calculator--setting a realistic time schedule (via U of Minn.)
Paper, Getting Started
- Finding Books
- Video Tutorials on Using the Catalog to Find Books
- Finding Articles
Guides for a Variety of Topics
Research Essays: A Guide For Students of All Nations by William
- Finding Articles in our Databases
- Ebsco Tutorials (PowerPoint)
- LexisNexis Research Help for specific topics like "economic crisis". See "boolean searching" for tips on how to search.
Printable Worksheet Aids
- Research Log Form in Word
Research Profile Form
- EBSCO and InfoTrac--both have internal citation builders.
- KnightCite--Check the results carefully
- Landmark's Citation Machine--ditto. You, and you alone, are responsible for correct citations.