On this page:
Only USA faculty, staff and currently-enrolled students are eligible to use our subscription databases from off campus. Alumni and Courtesy Card holders are not entitled to access our online databases remotely because this violates our licenses with database vendors who do not allow us to sell access to their products. Our agreements allow access only for current students, faculty and staff.
For remote access, you must use your J Number or Library Barcode. Contact the University Library at 251-460-7025 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have problems with access.
NOTE: If you are in Alabama and are not a current faculty, staff or student but need database access, use the Alabama Virtual Library.
|To login, enter your login name (last name plus the first two letters of your first name) and either your J Number or your library barcode (your barcode will only work as a password if you've previously checked out something from the library.) This is the ONLY login screen you should ever see for databases and electronic journals. If you see a different screen, check Common Problems with Access.|
Login or Password Questions and the Login Screen
- Login name or password is incorrect (Make sure you are including the initial J00).
- Alumni and Courtesy Card holders are not entitled to database access
- Possible Login Name Problems
- Possible Problems with SSN : the University no longer uses SSNs
- Possible Problems with Library Barcode
- Message that your account has been suspended
- Login screen asks for USA Student ID first and then for last name
- Login screen is anything other than what's pictured.
- Message appears asking you to accept a certificate after you enter your login name and password.
Internet Service Provider Issues
- Accessing the University Libraries' databases through USA Online with AOL.
- Connecting using a cable service provider.
- Connecting using AOL or MSN.
- Connecting using NetZero HiSpeed, Juno Speedband or similar services.
- Using Web Accelerators
- Connecting to University Libraries' databases on a smartphone.
Browser and Connection Problems
- Internet Explorer 6 is your browser.
- Your computer is a Mac and you are using Safari.
- The USA VPN and EZProxy
- The Database Login screen is never displayed.
- Login works but you are not connected to the database.
- The resource you're trying to use gives a message that your institution is not a subscriber.
- Error message when trying to connect to a database: "Reason: -- unrecognized error. Please contact technical support" or similar message.
- Error message that cookies are disabled even though they have been enabled in the browser.
- Message that Internet Explorer has rejected or refused to set a cookie.
Firewalls and Popups
- Popup blocker software is installed on your computer.
- Personal firewall software is installed on your machine.
Other Common Error Messages
- "Error has occurred in script on this page."
- "To allow / connect?session to work, your EZProxy administrator must first authorize this within the ezproxy.cfg file."
- Pdfs won't load properly or at all. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader, download it for free from http://www.adobe.com/
- An article link sent by email from a database does not open off campus.. Journal alerts from databases cause a similar problem.
- Using Google Scholar to access the University Libraries' resources off-campus.