Donating University Records

Construction of the humanities building on the campus of the University of South Alabama, c. 1974. USA Public Relations Collection.

The Doy Leale McCall Rare Book and Manuscript Library eagerly seeks donations of records from the president's office, the board of trustees, the foundation, the faculty senate, and student organizations. We are also open to accepting donations of material from university departments, if those donations are deemed permanent records by the state's record disposition authority (see below). If you head a department, are a faculty member, or are a student organization leader, and would like to donate your papers, or your organization's records, please see below.

Steps for transferring records to The Doy Leale McCall Rare Book and Manuscript Library:

  • Access the Records Management site of the University's web site.
  • Read the FAQ section of that site for questions about which University records must be kept or which can be shredded if no longer useful for the everyday conduct of University business.
  • Look over the Public Universities Records Disposition Authority policy. This lists the state-mandated guidelines for how long each type of record must be kept.
  • If the records you wish to send meet the criteria listed for immediate destruction, temporary transfer, or permanent transfer, you must complete the appropriate form to start the transfer process. Guidelines for completion of each form are provided on the form.

If you have additional questions or need further information or help filling out the form, please call The McCall Library at (251) 341-3900 or email us at