You should think of the Study Abroad office as a one stop shop for information related to your study/intern abroad experience. We are excited to assist you as you navigate through the process of choosing a program. We will help you from the advising stage until you return from your program. Should you ever have a question or concern, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are sure this is going to be one of the best experiences of your college life!
Here you can gain general information about the many programs available, how the application process works at USA, and general guidance on where to begin.
Advising sessions will include the following:
- Descriptions of the various types of programs offered
- Assistance in narrowing programs to fit individual needs
- Information regarding the application process, travel requirements, how and when to obtain a passport or visa
- Basic information on costs and funding
- Other basic but important information to get you on your way!
A list of pre-approved study abroad programs and affiliates can be found here.
While researching programs, consider the following: eligibility requirements, location, course offerings, and costs (what is and is not included).
Students should meet with their faculty advisor for assistance in selecting a program based on courses related to their degree. Faculty advisors may contact the OIE Study Abroad office with any questions related to programs abroad.
Questions to Consider when choosing a program:
- Why do I want to go abroad?
- What subject areas do I want to study?
- Do I need to fulfill any academic requirements abroad?
- What is my foreign language ability?
- Do I speak another language and do I want to use that language abroad?
- What country or region of the world appeals the most to me?
- Would I rather live in an urban or rural enviornment?
- Would I prefer to live with a host family, in a dorm, or in a student apartment?
- What year do I want study to abroad (sophomore, junior, or senior)?
- How long would I like my program to last (semester, year, summer, internship, or mini-term)?
- How will I pay for my study abroad experience?
- Do I need financial assistance?