Educational Specialist’s Degree in Educational Leadership (Instructional Leadership) for K-12 Administrators
Candidates must meet full admission to the Instructional Leadership programs listed below before enrolling in any instructional leadership courses in the program.
The Educational Leadership or School Leadership specialist’s degree is designed for students who already have class “A” professional certification in educational administration. Successful completion of the program may qualify the candidate for the Class “AA” Professional Instructional Support Personnel Certificate as an Instructional Leader.
- A master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education documented on
an official transcript from degree granting institution.
Official Transcripts from all university, college, and post-secondary institutions you attended must be mailed to:
University of South Alabama Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9218
Watertown, MA 02471
(Note: Students who attended and/or graduated from the University of South Alabama are not required to submit a USA transcript.)
- GPA Requirement.
- Regular Admission–requires a minimal grade-point-average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale based on GPA calculated from degree granting institution.
- Provisional Admission–requires a minimal grade-point-average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale based on GPA calculated from degree granting institution; or 2.75 GPA based on the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework; or a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test score or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score at or above the 50th percentile.
- A valid ALABAMA Class A Professional Leadership Certificate or a valid ALABAMA Class
A Professional Educator Certificate in Instructional Leadership or one of the other
ALABAMA Class A leadership certificate designations [Instructional Leader, Principal,
Superintendent, Superintendent-Principal, Educational Administrator, Supervisor (any
subject and/or grade level), Administrator of Career and Technical Education].
*Applicant meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Holds a valid ALABAMA Class A Professional Educator Certificate in Instructional Leadership.
- Currently serving as a superintendent, assistant or associate superintendent, assistant to the superintendent, principal, assistant principal, supervisor (any subject and/or grade level), administrator of career and technical education, coordinator, or evaluator.
- Three years of documented employment in an instructional leadership position for which one of the certificates in Rule 290-3-3-.53.01(2)(b) is proper certification according to the current edition of the Subject and Personnel Codes of ALSDE.
- Three evaluation forms to include the applicant’s principal or supervisor attesting to candidate’s leadership and management potential. Recommendations must be on the specific evaluation form and emailed to email@example.com. Click on the following link for Recommendation Form and Directions: http://www.southalabama.edu/colleges/ceps/lte/resources/gr-applicant-recommend-form.pdf.
- Most recent performance appraisals. (Upload in the documents section under Other.)
- Narrative Statement of Purpose including reasons for pursuing the Class AA certificate in Instructional Leadership. (Upload in the documents area under Personal Statement.)
- A Resume (Vita) with a reverse chronology of the candidates' professional employment history, including dates and locations (Upload within application).
- Submission of official GRE Exam scores.
Ronald Styron Jr., Ed.D.
Ph: (251) 380-2601