Secondary Education Alternative M.Ed.
An advanced degree in secondary education gives you the opportunity to further your career as an expert in your field.
Alternative Master of Education (Alt. M.Ed.)
The Alternative Master of Education (Alt. M.Ed.) is a 42-hour program that prepares those individuals who do not have a prior background or teaching certificate in education, but hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in a related content field in English Language Arts, Social Studies, General Science, Spanish, French, German, or Mathematics. Many of the courses are offered online or with options for meeting online or on campus. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for the Class A, 6-12 Certificate for their content area.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Application and all supporting documents must be received prior to the semester of entry deadline. Application and semester deadlines are available at https://southalabama.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended since high school, regardless of whether credit was earned.
- A grade-point average of at least 2.75 (A=4.0) documented on the official transcript from the degree-granting regionally accredited institution.
- Satisfactory performance on the Core Academic Skills for Educators tests (Core). Information and registration for the Core (formerly Alabama Educator Certification Testing Program - AECPT) are available at http://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed.
- Clear Alabama State Department of Education background check. Information and registration for the ALSDE background check and fingerprinting sites are available at http://www.cogentid.com/alabama.
- Passing score on
- 1) Appropriate Content Knowledge Praxis II exam (see http://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed/ for current Alabama state requirements specific to your content field) OR
- 2) score on either MAT or GRE (including the Analytical writing section) and an academic major in the teaching field with adequate courses in composite areas for programs in General Science, Language Arts, and Social Studies. Scores must be from exam taken within the last five years.
- Three recommendation forms completed through the online application.
- Two page narrative on your career goals and purpose for graduate study uploaded to online application.
- Resume uploaded to online application.