In addition to individual and couples counseling, Counseling and Testing Services
offers group counseling as yet another way of helping students.
- In group counseling, six to eight students typically meet with one or more counselors to talk about issues that are of concern to them.
- Groups may focus on a wide range of issues such as managing stress, overcoming shyness, dealing with grief, sustaining recovery from alcohol and/or other drug addictions, or recovering from trauma.
- Students may be referred for group participation by their counselor or may seek to participate on their own.
- Screening interviews are often scheduled for prospective group members to make sure the group is appropriate for them.
- While the structure of groups may vary, typically they meet once a week for 60 to 90 minutes.
- The group experience provides opportunities to receive support and feedback from others, and in some cases, to practice new skills that might be introduced during meetings.
To obtain further information about group counseling opportunities, contact our office
at 251-460-7051. If you are interested in a particular type of group that is currently
unavailable, please let us know and we will try to do what we can to help.