Counseling and Testing Services (CTS) provides crisis intervention for USA students experiencing mental health emergencies such as psychological trauma or thoughts of seriously harming self or others.
Accessing Help for Yourself
- For emergency assistance during our normal office hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday) you may be seen as a walk-in appointment at Alpha Hall East, Room 326 or you can call our office at 251-460-7051.
- During non-business hours, contact the University Police at 251-460-6312 and they will notify the on-call counselor as appropriate.
- If a medical emergency occurs off campus, call 911.
Concerned about Someone Else
- The professional staff of Counseling and Testing Services is available to consult with faculty, staff, and students regarding the psychological welfare of particular students. Please click here for more information on consultation.
- If you have a serious concern about the mental health of another USA student, assuming it is during business hours, you can offer to walk the student over to the Counseling and Testing Services office.
- Upon arriving, inform the secretary that the situation is considered to be of an urgent nature. Efforts will be made to have the person seen as soon as possible.
- If the person is unwilling to go to Counseling and Testing or it is after business hours, you can contact University Police at 251-460-6312.
- Another alternative after hours would be to have the person go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Caution about E-mail and Social Media
For emergency situations, do NOT contact us via e-mail, Facebook or any other form of social media. We cannot guarantee a prompt response to e-mail, Facebook or other social media message nor can we ensure confidentiality.